Hi everyone! This post is somewhat different from my normal ramblings about my crazy life. It is a special collaboration with a few bloggers that I’m lucky enough to call friends, to create a short story.
Does anyone else remember sending around a piece of paper and writing pass-along stories with your friends growing up? If you enjoyed it, we think you might enjoy this, too.
I was tagged by Greg with the climax part of the story and the theme of love and romance – both my jam, so I hope you enjoy my contribution!
Just as there are five parts in a traditional plot structure, we will have:
- An Introduction
- A Problem
- A Climax
- A Resolution
- A Conclusion
You will be tagged to complete one of these five elements, along with given a theme (such as: beauty of simplicity, comedy, overcoming fear, love and romance, youth and beauty, coming of age, circle of life, friendship, empowerment).
- Provide a link back to the creators (Of Progress and Purpose, KNJ Snippets & Tales, and Ink and Thoughts) so that we can see what you write!
- Share “The Tag” and “The Rules” to help eliminate confusion.
- Thank the person who tagged you and link back to their portion of the story.
- Write your element with 3-4 days and try to keep it to around 50-60 words.
- Choose one or more persons to continue the story and assign them a theme.
- You may wish to let them know ahead of time in the comments, so that they can opt out if they don’t want to participate.
- If you write a conclusion, whoever you tag will start a new story of their own.
- If you tag more than one person, your readers will be able to choose their own adventure!
- Have fun with it! You are all so creative and inspiring, We can’t wait!
And so without further ado…
An Introduction: (by Jenny – link)
Kathy moved quickly, narrowly missing the rocks and roots scattered about the forest floor. A branch grazed her cheek once or twice, but she pressed most of them away with her free hand. In her remaining hand, she held fast to a new beginning, her heart beating nearly out of her chest. Hope bubbled inside her with each new step.
A Problem: (by Greg – link)
Kathy turned to look at a squirrel, taking her eyes off a branch that smacked her face a second later. She screamed, falling to the ground and landing in bear droppings. “Kathy?” a voice called. Kathy blushed, mortified, seeing the handsome gentleman she had come to meet, the source of her new hope. He had witnessed her moment of clumsiness.
A Climax: (by me!!)
Scrambling to right herself, Kathy brushed off the remnants of her folly. “You came,” she whispered, still clutching the half-broken locket. The man nodded, stepping closer until their bodies touched. Kathy trembled with anticipation as they connected their halves to completion. A blinding light burst from the heart locket and into the sky, creating an otherworldly glowing crescendo.
Pallavi from Curating Thoughts with the challenge of creating a resolution for the story using the theme of sacrifice. Good luck!